<< Back to Accommodation
A bright and sunny ‘upside down’ conversion of the original cowshed or shippen for Kerswell Farm, The Old Shippen is south-facing and flooded with light. Upstairs is a large sitting room with two big windows overlooking the garden, woodland and lakes, there’s even deep slate windowsills, low enough to perch on to watch the wildlife. The soft, warm colours and textures in the sitting room make a really relaxing space and the wood-burning stove means that it is super cosy whatever the season and with comfy sofas to curl up on, it’s the ideal place to unwind completely with a cup of tea, a glass of wine or a toasted crumpet.
A lovely dining kitchen awaits both keen cooks and those who prefer an easy life on holiday, with granite worktops, butler sink, induction hob, dishwasher and all mod cons! There’s a slow cooker and a microwave for convenience, but also all you need to potter in the kitchen with local produce and prepare your own creations.
Downstairs, the king-sized oak bed sits in a spacious room with lots of storage and a large en-suite bathroom, bath with powerful shower or a long soak! The tranquil twin has the benefit of an additional shower room with toilet. Both bedrooms have soft Egyptian cotton linen and cosy Devon wool duvets and pillows, all designed for a wonderful nights’ sleep.
There are lots of homely touches around The Old Shippen, artworks from local artists are in every room, and locally made or sourced pottery and ornaments to complement the interior.
Outside, a well-fenced large south-facing grassy garden with various places to sit and relax is ideal for enjoying the peace of the surroundings, with a rich variety of birdsong and the occasional flock of sheep passing by along the farmer’s lane to entertain. There are beautiful sunset views across the top lake from the patio and the arbour, a perfect spot to enjoy the peace and special light of the dusk. A gate takes you straight into our own woodland.
When our friends from Aurora Pets visited, they made this wonderful short video of ‘A day in the life of guests at The Old Shippen’ – take a look! https://www.aurorapets.co.uk/blogs/out-and-about/kerswell-farm-devon-dog-friendly-holiday-cottage
Accessibility: for more information about accessibility aspects of The Old Piggery, click on the following link to our Visit Britain Accessibility Guide: https://www.accessibilityguides.org/content/old-shippen
Sleeps four. One king-size room & one twin room. Sorry, no children.
Prices for the whole of The Old Shippen. Minimum three night stay. Changeover day for weekly bookings is Friday but may be flexible on request.
Please call us or check the calendar for specific prices and availability, but as a guide:
High season (June-August)
From £1,115 to £1,299 per week
Mid-season (April, May, September)
From £867 to £1,115 per week
Low season (October-March)
From £650 to £867 per week
Christmas and New Year 2021
Three nights – £974, seven nights £1,516
- Peace and quiet in cosy comfort
- Flexible changeover dates, three nights minimum stay. Weekly changeover day is Friday. We’ll fit in with you if we can
- Bedlinen and towels – please bring beach towels. Full change after one week for two-week stays
- Central heating, electricity
- Basket of logs for wood-burner
- Welcome pack including local milk, butter, home-baked bread, tea, coffee, eggs, wine and snacks
- Devon cream tea on arrival
- Small selection of kitchen essentials, oil, stock cubes, salt, pepper etc
- Nespresso machine with starter pods
- Cakes baked to order
- TV and DVD player, DVD library
- Wi-fi connection. Due to our location, speed is not great, but it works!
- Warm dog shower and towel!
- There's no washing machine in The Old Shippen, but washing gladly done for you in the farmhouse - just bring us the laundry bag
- Hairdryer in each bedroom
- BBQ with starter pack of charcoal